Turmeric is a power antioxidant and has anti-parasitic properties as well as promotes effective anti-inflammation response. Originated in southern India thousands years ago, turmeric has been used in Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine and still used as dietary supplements to treat inflammation related diseases such as arthritis, and a number of other health issues.
However, besides medical applications, ancient civilizations used turmeric as a coloring plant. Buddhist monks used this root to dye their robes. Colored with turmeric rice was served in the wedding ceremony in Indonesia. In India, women applied turmeric water on their faces to give the skin golden tones.
Turmeric can be used to dye any fabric, but here we will talk about natural food coloring that can be fun for kids and adults.
Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs
- Prepare dyeing solution: add 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric per cup of water and stir it
- Place raw eggs into the solution; make sure the eggs are fully submerged in the dye
- Bring the solution to a boil and cook it for about 10 minutes until hard-boiled
- Turn off heat and leave eggs in the hot water until it cooled.
The longer eggs are soaking in the solution, the more deep hue they receive.
Take eggs from the dye, do not rinse them but allow to dry on paper or in the egg carton.
Note. The stains of turmeric are hard to get out. Be careful not to spill it on your clothes and kitchen countertops. Use an apron and gloves. If you get stains on your clothes, do not let them dry out - act quickly. Rinse the stain with water and dry with towel. Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to the stain. A few drops of lemon juice or white vinegar might also help.
Golden Pasta and Rice
When cooking pasta or rice, 3 minutes before it is ready stir 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. The pasta and rice will turn bright yellow.
Simple Recipe to Cook Golden Spaghetti
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot
- Salt the water
- Add spaghetti
- Stir the spaghetti during cooking, so noodles don't stick together
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric three minutes before its ready
- Test the spaghetti; when it is ready, it should be a little chewy
- Drain water
- Stir spaghetti with butter or sauce.
Orange Milk Shake
Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder into your favorite milk shake and blend it together.
Healthy Milk Shake Recipe
Yield - 2 glasses
- 1 low-fat yogurt
- 1 glass (300g) low-fat milk or almond milk
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 tsp turmeric
Blend all ingredients until creamy.
You May Also Like